Jeff Zuidema has served as trial, appellate, and arbitration counsel for well-known companies in a variety of industries such as energy, alcohol, hospitality, employment, real estate, and intellectual property. His cases have ranged from class actions to commercial contract and tort disputes. Many of his cases resulted in favorable judgments and dismissals.
Jeff received his degree from San Diego State University and his law degree from California Western School of Law. He received several academic honors in law school, including American Jurisprudence in Constitutional Law and Copyright, and made the Dean’s List. He interned at Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command in San Diego in matters involving government procurement contracts and bid protests.
Before college, Jeff served as a noncommissioned officer in the U.S. Army’s elite 1st Battalion 75th Airborne Ranger Regiment. He served as an infantryman before taking charge of Alpha Company’s nuclear and chemical warfare component receiving several awards for meritorious service and leadership.
- Perpetual Energy Systems v. CleanPower Energy Systems: Represented CleanPower in dispute over development of planned utility scale solar energy projects under several feed-in-tariff programs in Ontario, Canada. Obtained favorable settlement, resulting in significant payments to CleanPower.
- AWCC v. Oak Creek Power and ON Wind: Represent two Terra-Gen Power wind farm subsidiaries in lawsuit in Kern County, California, alleging violations of a royalty acquisition agreement.
- Vi-Cal Metals, Inc. v. Riverside Canal Power Co., et al.: Represented Riverside Canal Power Co. in a dispute involving the demolition of and sale of salvageable precious metals removed from a deactivated power plant. Obtained summary judgment on plaintiff’s claims and a favorable settlement on Riverside Canal Power Co.’s cross-claims, including payment of attorneys’ fees.
- Buena Resources v. AES Southland: Represented AES in dispute over the demolition and salvage value of a utility scale power plant. Obtained summary adjudication on the largest claims and favorable settlement thereafter; secured payment of attorneys’ fee from contractor.
- PetroChem Insulation, Inc. v. AES Alamitos: Represented AES in dispute involving the construction and dismantling of scaffolding so that other contractors could perform needed repairs at the power plant. Obtained favorable settlement.
- Aljawad v. Fortuna Enter. LP, et al.: Represented hotel owner and operator against contractor for claim of breach of contract involving mechanic’s lien and contractor license issues. Case was dismissed with prejudice.
- Del Amo Fashion Center v. C & J Clark, Inc., et al.: Represented Clark entities against claims for breach of contract on commercial lease and guaranties.
- 2010-1 CRE NV-Land v. Silver State Equity Partners, et al.: Represented 2010-1 CRE in action for recovery of post-foreclosure rents received by previous owner of commercial property. Obtained stipulated judgment and favorable settlement.
- Represented Colony Capital and other secured lenders in numerous foreclosure and receivership proceedings throughout California, including in Los Angeles, Riverside, Kern, Contra Costa, San Bernardino, San Luis Obispo, San Mateo, Fresno, and Sierra counties.
- Represented various landowners involving disputes with commercial leases, partnership and development agreements, easements, mechanic’s liens, and contractor issues.
- Crown Beverage v. Sierra Nevada Brewing: Represented Sierra Nevada in Reno, Nevada, in dispute concerning the termination of a distribution agreement in a franchise protected state. Obtained favorable settlement on eve of trial, which included full compensation of attorneys’ fees.
- Copper Cane v. Rutherford Wine Studios: Represented Rutherford in dispute involving sale of winery. Obtained favorable settlement after successfully opposing temporary restraining order.
- Mission Beverage v. Pabst Brewing Co.: Represented Pabst in Los Angeles, California in an unlawful contract termination dispute, resulting in favorable settlement.
- Bagdasarian Productions v. Capitol Records: Represented trademark owner of Alvin and the Chipmunks in dispute concerning breach of master licensing agreement. Obtained favorable settlement, which included significant payment to the trademark owner.
- Komipharm International Co. Ltd. v. Bissox, Inc., et al.: Represented Komipharm in dispute concerning ownership and inventorship of intellectual property for patent application purposes.
- Canseco v. Cal Pacific Specialty Foods, et al.: Represented Cal Pacific in wage an hour class action brought by agricultural workers of labor staffing company hired to provide staffing and management services. Obtained favorable settlement.
- Morales v. Trinity Services Group, Inc.: Represented Trinity dispute involving discrimination and retaliation claims brought by employee. Obtained summary adjudication on the eve of trial and a favorable settlement shortly thereafter.
- Burris v. Pet Head, Inc.: Represented Pet Head in overtime wage claims by former employee. Obtained favorable settlement.
- Fontaine v. Northrop Grumman: Represented Northrop in dispute involving pension benefits under ERISA. Obtained dismissal with prejudice.
- Multibank 2009-1 CRE Venture v. Golkar: Represented unsecured lender in dispute involving breach of written guaranties. Obtained summary judgment and entry of a multi-million dollar judgment.
- Multibank 2009-1 CRE Venture v. Yoo: Represented unsecured lender involving breach of promissory note. Obtained favorable settlement on the eve of summary judgment.
- Vasquez v. University of New Mexico/Bernalillo Cnty. Medical Center: Represented University Medical Center in dispute involving medical treatment and collection activities on hospital liens. Obtained favorable settlement before ruling on a dispositive motion resulting in payments to the University Medical Center.
- Jeff is admitted to practice in California, and before the the U.S. District Courts for the Central, Eastern, and Northern Districts of California.